Ipad Chaos!!!
Recently, schools all across the nation have been using I pads to help them learn. Many teachers say that instead of carrying all kinds of books, you have it all in your I pad! Although, many critics say that this can be a distraction to kids learning. Too much screen time can also damage your eyes. What do you think?
Julian, I love your post! Related to TFK and the future! I love how you have chosen to use your blog by summarizing current events and things that you have read. :-)
ReplyDeleteIn response to your blog post, as you know, there are many pros and cons with regards to technology usage.
Here is some info. about affects on eyes:
Although there is no proof that screen time causes eyes to weaken, it can cause headaches. Reading dark print on an extremely bright background (i-pads, phones & computers) can lead to spasms of the muscles at the temples, which causes stress headaches.
E-readers like the Kindle or Nook (you have this right?), were actually created to ease eye-strain. They have black text displayed on a gray background which eases the contrast. Isn't that interesting? Sounds like a science project to me, huh?
Black on gray is easier for reading versus black on a brighter white, according to this website: http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com
Another health effect or con includes dry eyes. Apparently your blink-rate slows down when you are looking at things like screens, books, etc for long periods of time. If blinking slows down, so does eye moisture.
Eye-strain:
When you stare at a screen or anything close up for a long time, the pupils in your eyes get smaller, causing the muscles in your eyes to work really hard. Makes sense huh?
So even though there is no current evidence that proves spending hours on a computer or reading on a small object like a phone causes weakened vision, it can cause tension and strain (over use of muscles). I'm pretty sure though that it can because of personal experience, but there is no scientific proof....yet....
People whose jobs require long periods of computer/screen usage (my husband), have to make sure to take breaks. Look away from the screen a few times an hour to relieve eye muscles and prevent eye strain.
I-Pads in the classroom? I say YES! Technology is the future. Where will jobs be when generation Y (you) graduate college? Computers, business, medical fields, business, science and discovery, solving world problems, etc. ALL of them will include TECHNOLOGY. Education, being a teacher, will always be an important job. Teachers have to become more technologically advanced (preparing students for the future). Students who are taught 21st Century Skills (google it to learn more if interested), will have an advantage over others who do not.
Julian, your generation is entering what's called, the "Brain race,”. Lifelong learning is the only way to be successful. If people stop learning, they will become unemployed and unemployable (unable to get a job). YIKES! This is one of the reasons why I am always trying to feed the seed to students, "Appreciate your education and get as much as you can out of it now". :-)
One of my favorite quotes is: "I am still learning" by Michelangelo. Now you know why.
Thank you for taking your education seriously, you have a bright future, no matter what you decide to do. So, with all of this said, how can I help challenge you now? What's next for Bear Essential? If you are still interested in becoming a news reporter, we could look into some volunteer type opportunities or TFK journalism. Registration for TFK young reporter's program is coming up in March. Have a great weekend!
Julian, you are a natural! I think you have found your calling!!!!
ReplyDelete